Sunday, May 6, 2012

60 Things I Learned from a 60 year old Cheerleader.


Cake by Corinne Shephard 
by Ardra Shepinetz

1.  That there is no one else like me.
2.  That I am talented and special.
3.  That you must do what you love.
4.  That dressing up is fun.
5.  That 2 days are more believeable than 1.
6.  That dogs are not optional.
7.  To always check the ingredients.
8.  To challenge myself.
9.  To be extravagant.
10. To be extravagantly generous.
11. To laugh. Loudly.
12. That retail therapy is better than conventional therapy.
13. To always carry emergency chocolate.
14. That traditions are important. 
15. That pie is a legitimate breakfast food and popcorn can be dinner.
16. To read.
17. How to pluck my eyebrows and shave my legs.
18. That learning and knowledge are exciting.
19. To be curious and ask questions.
20. To say "Please" and "Thank you"
21. That accessories are essential.
22. That it doesn't matter if you suck at math. Focus on what you do excellently.
23. That it's good to be Queen.
24. To never hide my sparkle.
25. That you are only as old as your boobs.
26. To be unconventional.
27. That I have many blessings.
28. That I don't have to do anything I don't want to.
29. To be excited.
30. To look for the joy in everyday life.
31. That being messy is completely justifiable if you are creative.
32. To make time for myself.
33. That it's just money. (And you can just get more)
34. To be optimistic. Even when it seems crazy.
35. To be joyful.
36. How fortunate I am to have a sister and a brother and a father who love me.
37. That the dishes can wait.
38. That I don't always have to be nice.
39. That every decade gets better than the last.
40. That there is usually something funny in even the worst situations.
41. To be impulsive.
42. That if you don't want anyone else to read it, don't put it in writing.
43. That it's not gossip. It's information.
44. To never brush my teeth with pumice.
45. To suck in my stomach and stick out my boobs.
46. To surround yourself with beautiful things.
47. That practicality is overrated.
48. That sugar is a food group.
49. That watching soap operas is an acceptable pursuit if you are watching "for the fashions"
50. How to use a public washroom without ever touching a thing.
51. How to eat maple syrup from a bowl (no pancakes necessary)
52. That Christmas morning starts at 4am.
53. To never stop dreaming.
54. To always carry an up to date passport.
55. That nothing is impossible.
56.  How to pack a suitcase.
57. That excitement and joy are contagious.
58. How to see the positive in a challenging situation.
59. That she will always be on my side.
60. That there is no one else like her.

Happy Birthday Mom!  I love you.
Well the big day has finally arrived. I partied with friends under a super moon and enjoyed multiple blessings courtesy of my family. What does sixty look like? I'd say sixty looks like love.

2 comments:

  1. THis is so you, Norma. Well done, Ardra! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, and may I add "Hair does not have to be blonde, brunette, black or red? Pink and blue are equally amazing!

    ReplyDelete