Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Paddy's Day Pink

Edwardian Post Card c.1909

On a day when almost everyone is wearing green, I went out in pink—hair that is. I get mixed revues on my do, but this afternoon as I was filling the cargo hatch with groceries, a young guy in a hoodie flashed me the peace sign, and stopped long enough to say, “I’m diggin’ your hair. Stay rad, Man!”

Had he been into the green beer? Perhaps. Was he a time traveler from the sixties? Possibly...but I don’t care. It made me laugh. Evidently my crazy hair did something for his spirit, and his compliment did something for mine.  

Some weeks ago, Liza Fromer, a Toronto morning-show personality, asked the following question: “Is it appropriate to give a stranger a compliment?” It seems that on her way to work that day, our television host had seen a smartly dressed woman on the street, and wanted to compliment her look, but felt shy about it.

I say go for it. Show your colours. Especially on St. Paddy’s Day.


Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.  Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the box at the right-hand side of this page.

1 comment: